Monday 20 June 2011

Hardest Half

On second run the Midsummer Munro confirmed itself to me as one of the best races around. 

The weather when I left the house was horrendous but managed to stay dry for the race.  This said its mark had been left with some muddy conditions- but nothing too bad.  There was however a nice surprise at the stepping stones which were submerged in a good 3 inches or so of freezing water.

The whole thing almost ended in disaster before it even started as I managed to turn my ankle whilst nipping to the bushes before the race.  Luckily it wasn't too bad, it hurt a bit near the end but I doubt it slowed me down much.

There was a slightly smaller field than last year- I'm not sure if this was due to the Picnic (the Munro's bigger sibling- the hardest marathon!) or the weather; but everyone was in good spirits and after an enthusiastic rendition of 'God Save the Queen' we were off.  Learning from last year I paced myself a bit better, walking the steps but running all the slopes.  I ran a lot of the race without too much company, but there was a good stretch from about mile 4 to mile 8 where me and guy were swapping places a lot- he would pass me up the hills and I would then career out of control passed him on the descents!

In the end I finished 12th in 2:04:27 which was the result I was after.  Either way, I love this race and had a great time so that was just the icing on the cake to a great afternoon. 

Finally, it has to be said- "much respect" to those running the Picnic.  Having to turn around and run the whole thing again must take some resolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment